Juicing fresh fruit and veg works because you get a high dosage of easily absorbable nutrition without consuming a lot of calories. The juicing process also opens up the nutrients and makes them so much easier to digest – it is worth noting that 80% of your energy goes to digestion!
Here is an adapted-for-Kenya recipe by Joe Cross – a revolutionary juicing aficionado. Joe Cross drank (Green Juice) his way to health and made a game-changing documentary about it in which by consuming nothing but green juice for 60 days, he not only lost weight but also cured his debilitating skin disease.
PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS
|Sukuma wiki (Kale)||1 bunch||25/-|
|Green Apples||2||30/- each|
|Carrots||2 large pieces||70/- per kg (Approx 7/- each)|
|Cucumber||1 piece||120/- per kg (Approx 10/- each)|
|Ginger||1 teaspoon||350/- per kg (Approx 10/- per piece)|
|Lemon||½ piece||130/- per kg (Approx 10/- per piece)|
|Mint leaves||1 small bunch||30/- per bunch|
This juice can easily be made using a juice extractor. If you don’t have one, chop all the ingredients into fine pieces -except the lemon and mint. Add about half a cup of water and blend until all the bits have disappeared. Finally squeeze the lemon juice in, and garnish with the mint leaf on top if you are feeling fancy.
Serve cold, with the mint leaves it is especially refreshing in the heat.
There is a good reason why the pomegranate is one of the most expensive fruits, first of all, it is a superfood hence used all over the world by the health community for its outstanding nutrient density. Interestingly enough, the pomegranate is mentioned often in ancient Biblical text, leading many scholars to think that it could possibly have been the forbidden fruit in The Garden of Eden.
Secondly, it is very delicious and can be eaten as is, used in gourmet salads and is also used industrially to make high-end condiments. It is my favorite ingredient in a signature BBQ spare ribs recipe, pomegranate molasses.
The fruit is quite difficult to grow. Trees take 3-4 years to bear fruit which are often attacked by birds and insects, who are clearly aware of this particular nature’s treat. The trees also do not bear a lot of fruit.
Pomegranates are a worthwhile buy; they have been proven a great antioxidant which simply put, means they help prevent many types of cancers.
Pomegranates are available on order from Mboga Masters at 300/- per piece.
A crostata is a simple apple tart from Italy and a great thing about it is that you do not need a tart pan. Green apples are preferable to cook with because they can withstand the baking heat and still maintain their flavor and texture.
|INGREDIENT||AMOUNT||PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS|
|Winnie’s Chapati Afya Flour||2kg||195/- per pkt|
|Sea salt/ Natural Himalayan salt||90/- per Jar|
|Honey||1/4 cup||250/- for 300gms or 350/- for 500ml|
|Tropical Heat Black Pepper||1/8 teaspoon||90/- per Jar|
|Tropical Heat Cinnamon||1/3 teaspoon||90/- per Jar|
|Nutmeg||1/4 teaspoon||90/- per Jar|
|Unrefined or Regular Sugar||1 teaspoon||120/- per kg|
|Fresh Lemon Juice||1/3 teaspoon||100 per kg|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||1 tablespoon||N/A|
|Ice Water||1/2 cup|
- Sift 2 cups Winnie’s Pure Health Chapati Afya Flour with ½ teaspoon sea/natural salt, ¼ cup honey and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Add butter and the ice-water, mix, not too much. If you have a food processor, you can make the dough. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- To make crostata filling combine 1 thinly sliced green apple, ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon, a touch of freshly grated nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon of dried), 1 teaspoon unrefined sugar or regular sugar, 1/3 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Remove dough from fridge at least 5 minutes before baking then immediately assemble the filling into the pastry and fold over as seen in the image
- Brush the olive oil on the crust to add yet more flavor.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then crank up the heat to 230 and bake for 5 minutes exactly to brown it nicely.
This crostata is very versatile, it can be served as breakfast, a light lunch with some fresh juice or dessert, I like it anytime of the day.
There is nothing great as waking up to freshly baked goods and this quick pastry will add some freshness and zing to your breakfast/ snack thanks to the local lime ingredient which packs a huge punch in matters flavor. This recipe also makes for perfect dessert for a special home-cooked meal.
Portions make enough cake for 3. Recipe cost Approx Kshs.900
|INGREDIENT||QUANTITY||PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS|
|Winnie’s Pure Health Chapati Flour||1 Cup||195/-|
|Milk||1 Cup||50/- per packet|
|Lime||0.5kg||200/- per kg|
|Ground Cinnamon||1 teaspoon||95/- per Jar|
|Brown Sugar/ Demerara Sugar||2 teaspoons||120/- per Kg|
|Sea/ Himalayan Salt||1/4 teaspoon||90/- per jar|
|Vanilla Essence||1 teaspoon||N/A|
|Baking Powder||1 teaspoon||N/A|
|Baking Soda||1/4 teaspoon||N/A|
*N/A Not Currently Available At Mboga Masters
- To make buttermilk add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice into 1 cup of milk, leave to set for about 10 minutes.
- Sift 1 cup of winnie’s pure chapati afya flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix well with a whisk or a fork.
- Combine 1/2 cup unrefined demerara sugar (or honey or regular sugar worst case scenario) with 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon of lime zest, 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice and1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Add the buttermilk slowly and combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- Butter your ceramic baking bowl or baking pan and add a little corn/ugali flour to make it extra non-stick.
- Pop it into the oven at 190 degrees for 40minutes
There is a lot of misinformation about oils – ‘Cholesterol-Free’ and ‘Heart Healthy’ are common terms shoppers encounter in the marketplace. However, to really get the healthiest oils you often have to spend more; but your money gets you not only truly healthier oil, but flavour too.
We highlight 2 oils that will transform your cooking and baking for the better:
Extra virgin coconut oil is perfect for everyday cooking and sautéing vegetables; it adds flavour and nutrition to the party.
Coconut oil is comprised of saturated fat, but science has recently shown that the type of saturated fat in coconuts is actually super healthy and delicious too. It also bakes well and is very economic (I usually use half the amount required in a recipe since coconut oil can be overpowering if not used with a deft hand).
As a side note, this oil is often used as a safe make-up remover. 🙂
Olive oil is one of the healthiest ingredients in the Mediterranean diet. Premium high quality olive oil will give you flavour that you simply CANNOT get with other processed oils. My favorite brand by far is Oilivia, but I also buy other cheap extra virgin olive oils for other uses like coating bread before baking.
Olive oil is really great for searing meats, sautéing veggies, in salad dressing, and for baking cookies. It brings a lot of versatility to your kitchen.
Also, extra virgin olive oil is loaded with vitamin E making it great for the skin. You can add some into your bath for soft supple skin.