When stagers in high end real estate firms are showing a house for sale, they almost always bake something in the kitchen to give the prospect buyers a feel of home and comfort. They know what they are doing because nothing screams comfort like baked goods, especially freshly baked bread!
You can also use healthier ingredients to make your home-made bread better and tastier than ordinary bread. The fermentation process in this recipe also makes it easier to digest while improving the texture and taste. The probiotics in fermented foods have also been shown to help prevent many diseases by populating the gut with good bacteria.
|INGREDIENT||AMOUNT||PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS|
|Wholegrain Chapati Afya Flour||1 cup||195/- per pkt (2kgs)|
|Honey||3 tablespoons||250/- for 300gms or 350/- for 500ml|
|Sea Salt/ Himalayan Salt||1/3 tsp||90/- per Jar|
|Lukewarm water||½ cup|
|Black pepper in grinder||N/A|
|Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||2 tsp||N/A|
|Chia/ Flax Seeds (Optional)||1 tsp||N/A|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||2 tsp||N/A|
|Dry yeast||1 tsp||N/A|
- Sift 1 cup wholegrain chapati afya flour, add 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1/3 teaspoon of salt, a few grinds of black pepper – yes bread too needs seasoning. Add 1/2 cup warm water and whisk well, cover lightly with a cloth so that wild yeast can get in and start the fermentation process. Really important, don’t worry if your kitchen will smell like beer J, the results are awesome.
- Leave that for at least 4 hours but if you can wait for 3-4 days, it will be stronger and tastier. You can just ‘feed’ the sourdough with a little water water and more flour halfway.
- On D-day, add 1/3 cup warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of active dry yeast, 2 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil, 2 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of ground chia/flax seeds (optional but adds lotsa nutrition without affecting flavor). Mix gently without overworking the dough adding a little of the wholegrain flour to get a nice dough
- Oil the base of a bowl with the coconut oil which not only prevents it from sticking, but also helps the dough to rise – without the oil, the dough will be sort of held down.
- Cover and put in your oven – DO NOT PUT THE OVEN ON. Just keep it there together with a bowl of piping hot water and close. The steam from the water will help it rise while keeping the dough nice and moist. The oven’s controlled humidity is also good for a nice rise. (Put the water on the lowest rack and the dough on a higher rack)
- After 1 hour, shape the bread according to what you want, I prefer flatbread which bakes much faster, but a baguette is also nice heck you can even braid it, more fun in the kitchen.
- Boil more water and back into the oven for the second rise, 40 minutes here.
- REMOVE the dough from the oven, preheat oven to 180 C, brush bread with extra virgin olive oil, bake for 25 minutes (do not use a baking utensil, just oil the baking tray which will enhance more browning hence more flavor). Then crank up the heat to 230 C or maximum and bake for another 3-5 minutes while watching it closely, This will help in browning and therefore add more flavor. Rest on a cooling rack for 1 hour.
- Serve with green tea, boiled Kienyeji eggs and kachumbari
No wonder why they say baking is a science and an art. Enjoy!
You may already be eating healthy – you eat meat in moderate amounts, you eat fruits and vegetables every day, and even use olive oil and sea salt. But there is still more you can do, for example, you could make your home a little more eco-friendly. I am not talking about going off the grid and supplying your own energy from the sun, wind, biofuel :-), though that would be great if you could pull it off, but I am talking about replacing common household chemicals with often cheaper and often more effective alternatives.
Most soaps are made from petroleum products and are often laced with a cocktail of sometimes harmful chemicals. Organic soap is available in Kenya at specialized health stores such as Healthy U. You could also choose to make it at home. You could even use kipande which has less chemicals and color and is quietly but widely used in the beauty industry.
Convenient yes, but did you know that baking soda is a very effective and natural cleaning ingredient? It is effective on its own, but when mixed with white distilled vinegar and fresh lemon juice, the concoction can literally clean anything and everything. From a very dirty oven, to the floor. Ok, you could add a tiny bit of powdered soap, which gives it that lather and you can then clean the house or wash clothes with it.
Everyone loves a hot shower but new studies have shown that the chlorine often used to treat water can react with the heat and create harmful compounds which may cause you to feel tired and dizzy after a long hot shower.
You could simply choose take shorter showers (which is better for your power bills and the environment), ensure maximum aeration in your bathroom and take advantage of cold showers where possible. For example, I bath with cold water everyday after my work out.
Extra virgin coconut oil acts as the perfect lotion, shaving cream and deodorant. You can also get some natural make up products from your local health store or switch to homemade DIYs
Popcorn and Health
Pop corn is a snack that has become especially popular within most malls or shopping centers. It is increasingly being consumed by both children and adults. However, mass-produced popcorn is often cooked with unhealthy fats so making them at home is much healthier where you can control how they are made. Not only is it a great after-school snack for the kids, but it can also be incorporated into a weight loss/healthy eating/lifestyle.
Popcorn is rich in protein which will make you feel full for longer periods of time. Since it is a wholegrain, it is also rich in fibre which slows down digestion and keeps food cravings down.
|INGREDIENT||QUANTITY||PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS|
|Coconut Oil||1/3 teaspoon||N/A|
|Unsalted Butter||1/3 teaspoon||N/A|
|Sea/ Himalayan Salt||N/A|
|Black Pepper in Grinder||N/A|
*N/A = Not YET available at Mboga Masters
Using extra virgin coconut oil to make the popcorn takes care of any fat worries because it is a super healthy fat and the sea/natural salt plus black pepper seasonings keep it clean while adding tonnes of flavor. The only slightly questionable ingredient is unsalted butter, which however when used in moderation adds a lot of flavor to popcorn while keeping them moist.
- Gently heat the pot with 1/3 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1/3 teaspoon of unsalted butter.
- Season your corn with a pinch of sea/Himalayan salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Put the 1 cup of seasoned pop corn into the pot and cover, medium-low heat and let it just pop.
- Listen very carefully as the cooking stops when the popping sound stops, immediately remove from the pan, DO NOT uncover, just let it rest for about 5 minutes and then serve, movie time J
One of the best ways to replenish our bodies is by drinking coconut water fresh from the fruit. It is refreshing, delicious and very nutritious. The trick is to get them young and fresh for the sweetest and most nutritious water.
We know what you are thinking, ‘How do I get through the tough coconut shell without spilling all the water?’ The best method is by piercing the ‘eye’ on the bottom of the coconut. You can use a pestle and a screwdriver then drink it up with a straw. After that, use the blunt end of a large knife or anything strong enough to break the fruit to access the flesh.
Here are 5 reasons coconut water is great for you:
1. Boosts Energy
The electrolytes in fresh coconut water have been shown to help athletes recover energy, call it the perfect sports drink. The minerals and natural sugars in this nature’s health drink help with energy boosting so it is a great thing especially to recover energy after a work-out.
2. Assists in weight loss
The nutrients in coconut water will help you feel full for longer periods of time, meaning you will probably eat less of the ‘bad stuff’ and control your calorie intake.This amazing health drink has also been shown to boost your metabolism, meaning you will burn fat faster.
3. Lowers blood pressure
A study published in the West Indian Medical Journal proved that patients who had coconut water everyday showed significant reduction in blood pressure, which unfortunately is a common problem here in Kenya. Coconut water is not a cure in itself, but it does help people suffering from hypertension.
4. Improves skin health
Coconut water gives you vital nutrients and helps in detoxification, building great skin from the inside. Most skin ailments and conditions are caused by toxins and/or drinking too little water. Pimples and acne can also be controlled by washing your face with coconut water.
5. Strengthens teeth & bones
Coconut water contains a good amount of calcium which helps to build and maintain strong bones and teeth.
We care what you eat!
Raw food is often more healthy because it still contains all the nutrients that nature intended. Also, many enzymes which aid digestion are sensitive to heat meaning they are often destroyed by cooking. High temperatures as in cooking also destroy protein and many vitamins. It is therefore advisable to incorporate raw fruits and vegetables into your diet. Raw ingredients are also an important source of fibre which aids digestion.
Off course there are salads, but why not try this delicious recipe?
Simple Green Smoothie
Recipe makes 3/4 medium glasses (Approx 250ml), Total cost Kshs. 565
PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS
|Spinach / Kale||1 bunch||25/- per bunch|
|Pineapple||1 cup||150/- per piece (Large 2kg pineapple)|
|Watermelon||1 cup||80/- per kg (Approx 320/- for medium size melon)|
|Green/ Red apple||1 pc||30/- each|
|Bananas||2 pc||80/- per kg (Approx 10/- each)|
|Fresh strawberries (optional)||1/2 cup||200/- per pack|
|Sesame Seeds||1/2 cup in 1 cup water||N/A|
|2 cups spring water/ filtered water|
*N/A = Not YET available at Mboga Masters
- Wash ingredients thoroughly with clean water
- Mix veggies and water into your blender and puree (make a smooth, slightly thick mixture)
- Add all diced fruit and seeds and blend for about 2 minutes on high speed
- Enjoy your thick, TASTY glass of health!
Refreshing health in 3 easy steps!