Today we feature a red meat recipe. Red meat when consumed in moderation can be healthy, in fact some people have shown immense gains in health after adopting a paleo diet or caveman diet which consisted largely of lean meats, eggs, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds… all great sources of good nutrition as long as consumed in balance.
It’s healthier to make your own meatballs as opposed to buying them ready. Most ready meatballs are loaded with synthetic chemical additives like preservatives, colorings and flavor enhancers. We will also teach you how to make your own sauce!
|INGREDIENT||AMOUNT||PRICE AT MBOGA MASTERS|
|Sea Salt||1/3 teaspoon||Kshs.145 for 500g|
|Sunflower Oil||Kshs. 520 (2ltrs)|
|Crushed Garlic||½ teaspoon||85/- for 50g Jar|
|Onions||1 tablespoon finely chopped||145/- per kg|
|Parsley stems||1 teaspoon||30/- per bunch|
|Milk||4 tablespoons||55/- per packet|
|Black Pepper||Few Grinds||N/A|
|Cayenne Pepper||1/3 teaspoon||N/A|
|Tomatoes||½ kg||100/- per kg|
|Crushed garlic||1/3 teaspoon||85/- for 50g Jar|
|Crushed Ginger||1/3 teaspoon||80/- for 50g Jar|
|White Onions||1 tablespoon||130/- per kg|
|Celery||1 tablespoon||70/- per bunch|
|Leeks||1 tablespoon||10/- each|
|Potatoes||1 large potatoe||90/- per kg|
|Carrots||½ cup chopped||90/- per kg|
|Unsalted Butter||½ tablespoon||N/A|
- To make meatballs simply combine the beef mince, sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, crushed garlic, finely chopped onion and parsley stems. In a separate bowl mix milk with breadcrumbs then mix that into the meatball mixture for binding purposes. Shape into square-like (not too round) balls so that they can cook nicely. Leave aside for about 20 minutes or refrigerate for a few hours so that the flavors can mingle, they freeze so well too.
- On medium heat, brown the meatballs in extra virgin olive oil, for about 4 minutes for each of the 4 sides. Remove and set aside.
- On the same pan make the tomato sauce start by slowly browning in extra virgin olive oil and unsalted butter – your crushed garlic, crushed ginger, white onion, celery, leek, potatoes and carrots, about 8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Finely chop your tomatoes or grate them into a paste like consistency.
- When the aromatics have slightly browned, add your fresh tomato ‘paste’ and start cooking it off on medium heat, about 5 minute while stirring.
- Add veggie stock or water then bring to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs and cook for at least 30 minutes but if you have the time please cook them in a 180 degrees oven for 2 and ½ hours for amazing flavor and melt-in-your-mouth meatballs.
Serve with sauteed broccoli and ugali